 Robotics / 1434
Re: Scanning Tunnelling Lego Probe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:32:17 GMT

Some more description of The Probe, which has been added to the web page
too:

The Probe is a Lego MindStorms robot that can determine the height of each
point of an object on a grid. It does this by scanning a head back and
forth along the x-axis, moving a little along the y-axis after each scan.
For each point along the way it stops and lowers the probe (a long axle)
until it makes contact with the object.  Counting the time it took to
lower the probe gives a measure of the depth at that point.  These depth
values are logged and transmitted to a NetWinder Linux box for plotting.

I've also added alt-tag captions to the images, which should explain how
it all works.

Cheers,

- Ben.