 Robotics / 14132
    Re: Building a computer from Lego's —Bob Sardelli
   Well I guess we are using the term "computer" a little loosely. But if it could play tic-tac-toe then it made decisions based variable input, thats kind of like a computer. And using an RCX would definitely NOT count. Bob (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general)

        Re: Building a computer from Lego's —Ronald Vallenduuk
     I remember a sort of programmable crane from the first technic ideas book. You'd program it with gear racks on a plate. See (URL) that count? Duq (24 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general)

         Re: Building a computer from Lego's —Bob Sardelli
     Hmmm, thats getting pretty close but I guess I'm thinking of for if-then-else logic at least. Or a simple adder. Must be literature on making machines out of simple stuff (non-IC) for adding. Looks like a nice kit though. ... don't make'm like they (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general)

         Re: Building a computer from Lego's —Mike Fusion
     i couldn't find the actual images, anyone got a specific link? i mean the group thing sounds great but i would really like to see the actual mechanism. mike "dying to reverse engineer" fusion (24 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general)

        Re: Building a computer from Lego's —Mark Crosbie
     (...) What if you used the RCX to power each subsystem, but not the entire computer? For example, one RCX for the keyboard, another on the tape drive, and another on the output. They communicate via the IR ports (or by raising and lowering flags (...) (24 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Building a computer from Lego's —Andrew Lipson
    (...) I'm pretty sure the Tinkertoy 'computer' was basically a look-up table that had all positions coded into it with the correct responses, making use of symmetries to cut down the size of lookup needed. I don't really consider that to be a (...) (24 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general)

        Re: Building a computer from Lego's —John D. Forinash
   (...) Good enough for me-- after all, any combinational logic construct (gates, but no registers/flip flops) can be represented as a ROM, and this is often done in practice. I can't imagine saying that just because one didn't represent it the other (...) (24 years ago, 31-Jan-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general)