 Robotics / 13906
Re: Target online has Technic Star Wars for half price
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 02:33:00 GMT

Tim Hatch wrote:

-Destroyer Droid (the one that rolls, then pops up):
http://www.target.com/common/catalog/product.jhtml?
prodid=26965&catnav=43484
$24.90 (SAHS ~49.99)

-Pit Droid
http://www.target.com/common/catalog/product.jhtml?
prodid=26987&catnav=43488
$11.90 (SAHS ~19.99)

-Battle Droid (the one that there was an army of)
http://www.target.com/common/catalog/product.jhtml?
prodid=26967&catnav=43488
$14.90 (SAHS ~29.99)

I have all three of these.

Destroyer droid has an *INSANE* number of teeny-tiny
parts. 550 parts - scarcely *any* are more than an inch
long!

* If you want LOTS of axles, axle joiners, pegs, thin beams,
   collars, etc - then this is a GOOD set.

* If you want nice long beams, plates, gears and stuff like
   that - forget it - there isn't a single one of any of those
   things in the Destroyer Droid set!

* It's by *FAR* the hardest Lego model I've ever put
   together...it was worth $25 for that experience alone.

* I didn't feel cheated.

The Pit Droid and Battle Droid are also mostly built from
teeny-tiny parts - but they also have a lot of really
useless parts of the kind you find in the throwbots and
robo-riders sets - which somehow I *never* find uses
for in 'real' robotic projects.  They were both a little
disappointing - but then I paid full price for them just
over a year ago.

There is (I think) not one single part with a standard
Lego 'stud' on it in any of the three sets!  That's got to be
some kind of a record!

The Destroyer Droid has 99% of it's parts in dark grey and brown.
The Pit Droid is green and 'sand' - the Battle Droid is all 'sand',
including some gears and other parts I've only ever seen in grey
before.

All three robots fold up in complicated ways and 'sproing' into
shape when you push the appropriate button.  The way the Battle
Droid grabs it's laser gun (using a Lego railroad magnet pair)
is clever...so is the unfolding mechanism of the Destroyer
Droid.  *Lots* of little Lego elastic bands!

All three sets are now 'recycled' into the gaping maw of my Lego
storage system.

These sets probably aren't worth it for raw pirces at
regular price (there have been a couple of threads on
this), but do have some cool-type pieces nonetheless.  I
really don't know if they're worth it or not.  Could
someone that has these sets give us a review ("Are these
good for half price?")?

I got my Destroyer droid from eToys who are/were on the
verge of going bust and are selling most of their Lego
at deep discounts.

Let me note that these are apparently ONLINE DEALS ONLY.  I
could not find these sets on sale at all at my local store
in Texas.

Indeed.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>