 Robotics / 13822
RE: Elimating the need for the IR tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:05:30 GMT

I traced out the circuitry in the tower a couple of months back
to make sure it didn't have any clever tricks up its sleeve.
It doesn't!

<snip>

The upshot of all this is I think you could build a cable which plugs into
the PC's serial port and which hides the 38kHz oscillator on a small
board in the DB9 hood.

<snip>

I wonder if there is enough interest in something like this to make it
worth building and publishing the details (assuming it works ;)

John,

This would be neat in the short term, especially for little
PDAs and such that don't have a standard DB9.

But the biggest benefit (in my opinion) would be in classrooms.
With a low power transmitter, there would be much less interference
between the student's robots, which was a big pain when I did a summer
workshop
with pbForth and the RCX.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com