 Robotics / 13755
Re: Has the RIS 1.5 been discontinued??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 14:39:37 GMT

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Brian Johnson wrote:

If that was the case why would shop.lego.com would take the backorders ?
They are shipping RIS in 30 days.

Sounds like "famous last words" to me.
"Shipping in 30 days"? That's a long time for a mass-market consumer
product. If i had a dollar for every time a backordered item was eventually
cancelled...i could get pizza.

A few weeks ago i would see 1.0 and 1.5 boxes on the shelves. Now they're
nowhere to be found. Why the sudden and near-total outage?
As Christmas just passed, I (strongly) suspect they were popular holiday
gifts.

In any case, last Thursday, I called all around the greater Boston area (even
into New Hampshire) trying to find an RIS in stock, without much luck.  Until,
that is, I phoned the Best Buy in Dedham, MA.  After I purchased mine, there
were still six left on the shelf (I don't know if there were more "in back")

So, anybody near beantown who is "desperately seeking" RIS can try calling
Best Buy in Dedham to see if there are any left (for the full $200 US, that
is ;-)

One reply I got to my query for where to get these suggested the wal-mart web
site.  They appear to have them ("Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days"):

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?cat=4186&dept=4171&product_id=882572&path=0:4171:4186:5314

Enjoy,
--
H. Mark Little   http://markl.ne.mediaone.net/   mark@markl.ne.mediaone.net