 Robotics / 1371
Re: The OTHER computerised Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 23:45:57 GMT

In article <003501be2617$28fc9de0$ed3b883e@default>, Rounce <graham@roun
ce.freeserve.co.uk> writes
   Apparently there are 2 computerised Lego's. There is Mindstorms,
   aimed at older kids, • With infra red link
and the other one that I don't know the name
   of for youger ones.
Cybermaster - with radio link

These tend to fighting models - which I didn't like (8-)#
I saw the other one on demo in a shop, and the
   CD was brilliant, with the super-cool Lego-animated building
   instructions and journey through the Workshop etc etc. I've got a
   feeling that Mindstorm may be a bit advanced for my son aged nine,
   UNLESS.... Is it possible yet to get real nut-and-bolt level
   building instructions for anything? In Mindstorm, they say that
   they don't do anything like that because you're supposed to use
   your imagination... which sounds like a get-out to me, but why?
My 8 year old has no problems with Mindstorms.  No nut and bolts
instructions but he has succeeded in building his own simple models from
their hints.  He has given his models pet names too (8-)#  The RCX can
also be used on quite a few non Mindstorms sets, where simple motor
control is needed.

Us adults sneer at the Lego supplied Block programming interface, but
Ben can understand it and thinks it superb.

Don't underestimate children - Ben was building the Space Shuttle at 6
years!
--
           QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) (+44)1442-828255
mailto:tony@firshman.demon.co.uk     http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk