 Robotics / 13676
Re: Message transmission speeds.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 09:37:10 GMT

Brian wrote:

That seems VERY long.  I was under the impression that the IR link ran at
4800 baud - which ought to be 480 bytes/sec - which is about 2ms to send a
message and another 2ms to get the reply back - plus the time to read the
three sensors on the Scout and a little software overhead.

It doesn't seem reasonable that this should take more than about 10msec - not
100ms!

The data rate is 2400bps, and each packet of N bytes of data has 5 + N
bytes of overhead. So the more realistic time to send a 1 byte message
is 24ms.

That sounds believable.  I send 6 one-byte messages in each comms cycle.
That's gotta be a good 150ms - which is probably about what I'm seeing.

How depressing.  :-(

Here is an excerpt from the Communication section of
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics
(i.e. Did you check the web site first?:
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics)

Ack! Sorry.  I read it months ago - but didn't recollect seeing that part.

So, the first major speedup would be to send a 3-byte message containing
the commands to the three scouts all bundled together.  Then I could probably
even scrunch it down to 2-bytes. That'll save ~50ms.  Only trouble is that then
the scouts don't know when it's safe for them to reply without them all talking
at once - I could probably fix that with some careful timing or something - but
still, it's more than 100ms which is WAY too slow for the things I had in mind.

The annoying part is that the four computers are all within a few inches
and facing each other - and could even be enclosed in a 'black' box to avoid
external interference. However, I'm stuck with this 'bullet-proof'
protocol that's evidently designed to work over long distances with imperfect
transmitter/receiver alignment and such.

I guess I could fix that in the RCX by doing all of this at a lower level
in LegOS/C - but since three out of the four machines are Scout's, that's
not possible either.

<sigh>

Oh well - back to the drawing board.  :-(

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>