 Robotics / 13663
Re: Message transmission speeds.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:27:03 GMT

Steve Baker wrote:

It's all VERY cool - but the problem is that it's VERY slow.

(snip)
The best-case time seems to be more than ~100msec and the worst case
something less than ~500msec.

That seems VERY long.  I was under the impression that the IR link ran at
4800 baud - which ought to be 480 bytes/sec - which is about 2ms to send a
message and another 2ms to get the reply back - plus the time to read the
three sensors on the Scout and a little software overhead.

It doesn't seem reasonable that this should take more than about 10msec - not
100ms!

The data rate is 2400bps, and each packet of N bytes of data has 5 + N
bytes of overhead. So the more realistic time to send a 1 byte message
is 24ms.

Here is an excerpt from the Communication section of
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics
(i.e. Did you check the web site first?:
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics)

As for the sampling rate, the RCX runs at 2400 bps, which makes each bit
approx 417us.
(snip)
The IR protocol associated with sending a "message" to the RCX is pretty
simple. Bit encoding is 2400 bps, NRZ, 1 start, 8 data, odd parity, 1
stop bit. A '0' is coded as a 417us pulse of 38kHz
IR, a '1' bit is 417us of nothing.

At the packet level, all packets look like this:

0x55 0xff 0x00 D1 ~D1 D2 ~D2 ... Dn ~Dn C ~C

where D1...Dn are the message body, and C = D1 + D2 + ... Dn.

The data for sending an IR message is F7 followed by the 8 bit
"message". For example:

55 ff 00 f7 08 12 ed 09 f6