 Robotics / 13618
Re: Line following program?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:39:09 GMT

Hi Robert,

Line following is an interesting problem, and I don't want to ruin

the fun of discovery for your son and you, but here are some hints:

1. Start with a robot design with differential drive (i.e. left and

right side of the robot driven by separate motors) so that you

can steer by turning one motor off or reversing it, while the other

motor continues forward (a.k.a. "skid steering").

2. Make sure that your robot can turn easily, this usually means two

drive wheels and a 3rd caster wheel, or 4 wheel drive or tractor

drive.

3. For programming the problem, try to program yourself to follow the

line (close one eye and look through a christmas wrapping tube to

simulate having a light sensor; for an even better simulation, close

both eyes (or do it in a dark room with a strobe light) except when

you are checking the light sensor. Note that when you see white, you

have no idea which way to turn to find the black line again (and if you

turn too far the wrong way, you find the line, but head back in the

direction from which you came).

Would it be easier if the black line had different colors to either side

of it (i.e. green on one side, red on the other)? How would you program

the line follower if you had different colors to either side of the line?

Now! Consider, when following a black line that *doesn't* have different

colors on either side of it, how can you create a similar situation, so that

you *always* know which way to turn? If you don't see the answer, think
about

it a bit more, then send me mail with your thoughts and I'll try to help
more!

-Peter

Coach, FLL Team #1096: The Unibots #2 in California State, State Rookie All
Stars!