 Robotics / 13599
Re: RCX replacment firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:40:47 GMT

Hi Chris,

leJOS is not an irreversible step, nor is legOS or pbForth or even
Lego's default firmware. The firmware is stored in battery-backed RAM,
so you can download different firmwares as much as you like.

Look for an article about leJOS in JavaWorld in February or so.

The firmware didn't change between 1.0 and 1.5, although the PC-side
software changed a little and the parts included are slightly different.
If you want to play around with the 2.0 firmware, it's available (in
beta) here:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/sdk2/index.html

Jonathan

Chris wolcott wrote:

I have an RCX I haven't used in a while, but plan to start working with
again.  The brick says 1.0, but another post said the 1.5 bricks still
said 1.0.  How can I tell what release I have?

I've been thinking of putting in the LeJOS java VM firmware
replacement.  I assume you can not recover the original once you do
this?

What is the deal with 2.0?  Is it available yet?  Is version 1.5 also a
firmware upgrade, or just a GUI change?

Thanks!