 Robotics / 13376
Re: Books for Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.books, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 04:59:28 GMT

Clive Wadham wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Rose Regner writes:
Ok, which one is the best?

Rose

Clive Wadham wrote in message ...
In lugnet.robotics, Miles Gentry writes:
The following books cover Mindstorms:

1.  "Dave Baum's Definitive Guide to LEGO Mindstorms (Technology In • Action)"
by Dave Baum;  November 1999
2.  "The Unofficial Guide to LEGO MINDSTORMS Robots" by Jonathan B. • Knudsen;
November 1999
3.   "Extreme Mindstorms: a Definitive Guide to Lego Mindstorms" by Dave
Baum, et al;  October 2000
4.  "Lego Mindstorms for Dummies" by Michael Meadhra;  October 2000
5.  "Killer Lego Mindstorm Robots" by Gordon McComb;  January 2001
6.  "Joe Nagata's Lego Mindstorms Idea Book" by Joe Nagata;  January 2001

Do you know of other books?

Here's a couple - both by Robert Penfold:
"Introducing Robotics with Lego Mindstorms"- ISBN 0-835934-2 (get it from
Amazon) Lots of VB information
"More Advanced Robots with Lego Mindstorms" - sorry, I don't know ISBN

It depends what you want from a book!
I have a few of them and in my opinion.....

"Dave Baum's Definitive Guide to LEGO Mindstorms" is a good general intro +
loads of good projects and models + loads of NQC

"The Unofficial Guide to LEGO MINDSTORMS Robots" has some good mechanical
designs + NQC info + pbForth

"Introducing Robotics with Lego Mindstorms" has loads of spirit.ocx and
visual basic + a few interesting projects

"Extreme Mindstorms: a Definitive Guide to Lego Mindstorms" has loads of
advanced stuff - LegOS, pbForth, homebrew sensors, RCX2.0 firmware

Hope this helps
Clive

My copy of Extreme Mindstorms just arrived and let me tell you, for the advanced
inventor it's GREAT!
If your into Custom Sensors and out of the way sensors and what not THIS IS THE
BOOK. It's written by the leading developers of the RIS's major coding
platforms. (Dave Baum - NQC, Ralph Hempel - pbForth & Luis Villa - legOS) as
well as Michael Gasperi for the juicy Custom Sensors stuff.

Great book. So far I'd rate it #1 for advanced users that REALLY want to get
into the advanced aspects of the RCX and don't mind bending the LEGO rules.

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html