 Robotics / 13320
Re: Results for Aluminum Can Stacking Contest at BrickBots.Com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 19:22:28 GMT

That first place machine - Wonderful! My congratulations.

And a great scheme Rich. It is often a lot more difficult than it looks to make
mechanisms as complicated as this work properly.

The Aluminum Can Stacking Contest ended yesterday, it was a ton of fun and
here are the highly anticipated (at least for me) results:

First Place, stacking 5 cans in 1 minute 25 seconds, earning 6 points
Matt with his Stack Master 1000 - http://brickbots.com/entryview.asp?eid=21
It is a thing of beauty, be sure to check out the movie!

When I first got my RIS a year or so ago, I decided to build static
"machines" as opposed
to "robots" or other mobile devices initially. (The code is so much easier
to debug if the
the thing doesn't run off into the corner and hide every time you hit the
run button!)

I finally managed to build a machine which would take a deck of cards which
had been
randomly "shuffled" so that some cards were face up, other face down and
output them
as a deck which were all face down. It turned out to be a lot harder than I
had imagined.
The only non-Lego bits I had to use were lots of grocery store bought
rubber bands as
conveyors for the cards as they passed through the machine. The most
intriguing part
was the mechanism to take one card at a time from the stack in the "in"
hopper. Might I
suggest a project like this for some future contest?

JB