 Robotics / 13238
Re: Book question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 02:05:46 GMT

Sean Kelly wrote:

1) Unofficial Guide to Lego Mindstorms (O'Reilly)
2) Dave Baum's Definite Guide to Lego Mindstorms
You can email me personally to keep personal bias off the list ;)

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing some honest reviews of
both books, especially from people who have both.
Anyone?  Anyone?

I went with Dave Baum's because I was told it had better
description of building technique, which is where I'm
weak.

But then I saw Knudsen's Minerva model instructions at

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lmstorms/building/minerva1.5/StepsA.html

from the Unofficial Guide to LEGO Mindstorms.  It's
really clever and economical in its use of motors and
sensors.  He gets forward and spin-in-place movement
without a differential, plus lifting and grabbing.

I'm really curious about this book!

--Sean

I have both books mentioned. I found the "Unofficial Guide to Lego
Mindstorms (O'Reilly)" book to be more informative for myself. It talks
about quite a few programing languages in enough detail to give you a good
idea of what's involved.  Dave's book was also good but I found it to be to
simple for my level.  Both books have some nice models to build and learn
from. As a side note I've ordered Dave & Friends NEW book "Extreme
Mindstorms" that I am REALLY looking forward to. That book talks about
custom sensors and advanced stuff. I'm also mentioned in this book I have
heard. SMILE. (My web site was mentioned in the "Unofficial Guide to Lego
Mindstorms".

The bottom line is that if you are really new to Mindstorms get both books.
If your a pro you should look into the NEW book "Extreme Mindstorms" out
now.

The above is, of course, just my opinion and does not reflect anything
other then my own ability with the Mindstorms sets. I consider myself at an
advanced level and may take for granted what newer users might be
struggling with.

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html