 Robotics / 13220
RE: Which Palm?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:16:12 GMT

Martin is right, the Handspring Visor uses a different connector than the
Palm devices, and so they are not directly compatible cable-wise.

You can get TTL level serial comms out of the Visor by hacking the USB
cable they sell.  Split open the connector shell with an Exacto (easier
than it sounds) and resolder the wires from pins 5 and 6 to 1 (Rxd) and 8
(Txd).  Leave the black wire on pin 4 (Gnd).  Snip the USB connector off
the other end, and voila! serial cable.  I did this to interface to the
Palm robot kit I'm going to buy myself for Christmas ;>)

Jeff

Jeffrey Hazen
North Mill Technology
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin [SMTP:lego-robotics@crynwr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 12:37 PM
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Which Palm?

Jeffrey Hazen wrote:

Now after all that, if you still wanted to get a Palm type device, I'd
recommend the Handspring Visor.  Less expensive, cool colors, and the
Springboard expansion port.  Mine's blue ;>)

So is mine, but you can't plug serial devices in because of the
different connector. If you want to control the serial tower with it,
you should just get a used palm pro. If you want to ALSO use the IR on
the palm, get a used palm pro with the 2mb upgrade :) The serial port on
it is very plug-friendly.