 Robotics / 13181
Re: Another DIY sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:35:13 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

That reminds me. A while ago now, someone here suggested trying
out the guts of one of those ball-less optical mice as the basis for
a sensor to watch the floor go by under the robot. Did that get
anywhere? Does anyone even know how those things work? Are
they still $50?

Those cameras have a small, low-resolution CCD in them, and they take
snapshots of the mousing surface and compare them to detect the quantity
of motion.

If you were going to use one of those mice your best bet would be to put
together a sensor interface using a PIC chip to simply interface with
PS/2. Then you could also get some touch sensors out of it (IE, the
mouse buttons.) But the electronics on the inside are unlikely to give
you pulses back out, except in the form of serial port data (IE, PS/2,
which is more or less an RS-232 port at 5 volts rather than +12/-12.)