 Robotics / 13170
Re: Another DIY sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:38:47 GMT

Umm.

Did you consider buying a $5 computer mouse and gutting it?

No I didn't!  My laptop has a glide point thingy so I don't have box
full of dead mice! . But I should investigate! Thanks for the idea.

What would be really cool would be to find a way to get the
RCX to read RS-232 - then you could just duct-tape the whole
mouse underneath your robot!

That reminds me. A while ago now, someone here suggested trying
out the guts of one of those ball-less optical mice as the basis for
a sensor to watch the floor go by under the robot. Did that get
anywhere? Does anyone even know how those things work? Are
they still $50?

JB