 Robotics / 13115
13114  |  13116
Subject:
Vision Command + other cameras
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 19:43:54 GMT

Mars Explorer seems quite happy to use any camera windows has, it is
even happy to find and use my Pinnacle video capture card.

Vision Command on the other hand, was NOT happy.

I had the Logitek QuickCam Pro USB up and running on my system quite well.
The first thing Lego VC did at install was announce that all my Logitek
software was "obsolete" and deleted it.  It provided me with a nice half-ass
link to where I could struggle through a 14.7 megabyte download to replace
it.  Then it proceeded to install, stopping at the critical point to
wait for me to plug in the Lego camera which it examined in detail before
proceeding, after I had unplugged my QuickCam Pro.

If you look in the Mars Explorer book, there is a camera pictured, I think
it is called the Logitek WebCam.  The Lego camera is a repackage of the
guts of one of the quick cam series.  It includes a USB microphone.  The
camera pictured I believe does also, and ugly thing shaped like a Claymore
mine, white, curved front, no protruding lens, rectangular.  It is possible
that there is a Logitek camera model that the drivers will recognize as
the Lego Camera, but apparently not just any Logitek camera will do.  It
certainly made short work of erasing mine for me at VC install time.

If you look at the Mars Explorer package, there is a deep pocket not really
used that is shaped suspiciously like the size and shape of the camera
pictured in the Mars book which I think is a Logitek product, perhaps
the one whose electronic guts were transplanted to the Lego Camera.