 Robotics / 13106
Re: NQC on Scout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 01:28:57 GMT

Martin wrote:

Okay, I wrote my first (sophomoric) piece of code for the scout, and I
have kind of lame question. I know that there's no good way to answer
this question, but about how much code can I stuff in the thing? I've
heard that it only has 1kbyte for code, is this true? And about (very
roughly) how many lines of code will that work out to, pre-compilation?

Well, if you run "nqc -Ofilename yourprogram.nqc", you'll save the compiled
code to 'filename' - look at the length of that file.

I don't think it's exactly the right size because it seems to contain
ASCII strings for the names of functions and such - and it doesn't
contain (presumably) the space taken up by your variables...but it's
a good first step.

I compiled a line-following robot's code (about 200 lines) and ended up
with a 500 byte output file.  Intuitively, that seems about right to me...
most lines in my program are simple - adding one to a variable, starting
a motor, reading a sensor.  Many of those will be single instructions
in the byte-code.  Lots of lines of my program will generate no code
at all (Lines that are comments - lines with just a '{' or a '}')...so
an average of 3 bytes per line seems very reasonable.

You know - it would be VERY cool if NQC would tell you what percentage
of memory your program has consumed when you compile it.  Since you
tell NQC which computer you are compiling for, it could work it out
accurately.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>