 Robotics / 13054
Re: AI in RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 00:39:20 GMT

I think that you should not immediately discount the idea of nueral networks
in the RCX. Bert van Dam  has done amazing stuff with networks on the RCX,
and using no PC code.
The point of the RCX is to try, learn, and invernt, not to say that it is
impossible.

Andy

Rama Hoetzlein wrote:

Steve Baker wrote:

I think this is "do-able" as a project. [refering to Neural Networks
AI on RCX]

I will believe it when I actually see it. Until then, it remains to me a
conceptual possibility (like all projects), but a practical
impossibiltiy.

My primary reason for suggesting that the goal of the project be reduced
was to suggest how one could reconcile one's goals with practical
problems. By focusing on small, simple projects first (such as FSMs), it
is possible to gradually build up to larger projects, such as autonomous
neural-network lego robots, while still keeping difficult goals in the
distance. This is, of course, how to gain experience - which is much
more important to me that the final product.

I do not doubt that neural networks on the RCX are possible in theory.
The question is, will the final result be successful - acceptably fast,
acceptably robust, acceptably working!. Without having the actually
results in hand, the only thing we have to go on is our imagination and
experience - which cannot serve as a practical measures of what is
possible.

Therefore, although I will agree that neural networks on the RCX are
possible in theory... I will not agree that they are practical -- until
a see a successful working example.

Rama