 Robotics / 13040
Re: Radio Controlled Tank - tread lightly.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:53:37 GMT

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, John Barnes wrote:

Treads are a subject of particular interest to me. Most of my
constructions are done with 100% pure Lego with the exception
of my various sensors of course which often form the raison
d'etre for building them in the first place. Treads are a different
story however. The Lego ones as supplied in Mindstorms and also
in sets like 8414, the ones in the Cybermaster and the little ones
in things like the arctic sets are all too small! And there is no simple
way to lengthen them ;) I've tried big chassis with front and back
treads but they simply don't work well. So, in the area of treads
I have become a shameless cheat! I scour the toy stores for large
toy tanks and I have found one brand which has great treads -
Funrise. It turns out they are the parent company of well known
names like Tonka, but the Funrise name appears to be put on
their cheaper models. Kmart sell them, and I have picked up a
couple on sale for $8. They are great, really grippy and long enough
to build 24 stud long skid steer platforms. I have tried others, but
none are this cheap or fit so nicely into Lego disguise ;)

I have hestitated to put any pictures on my excuse for a website
in case someone got really mad and burned it down :) Actually
it would probably be the best thing - put it out of its misery.

If anybody is interested, I will however.

Yes, please! :)

Have to check if they sell Funrise brand toys here in Sweden.

//Harri Manni
-"Do not take life too seriously.You will never get out alive."