 Robotics / 13015
Re: Java (was Ada)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:05:49 GMT

I apologise if this has been discussed before ...

but speaking of other languages ...

What options do we have to do some real Java development for the RCX?

I think there are two or three different implementations. I seem to
remember TinyVm and leJOS being two different approaches. But beyond
knowing these terms, I know nothing about them

Does anyone have any comparative analysis, suggestions, reviews?

-- V

As the original author of both systems, whatever I say is
going to be biased. You might want to post your
question at tinyvm-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net.
I've received a lot of praise for these systems, so I guess
people do like them. There are still some problems users
seem to have on a regular basis, e.g. figuring out how to
carry out communication between the PC and the RCX,
the default stack size per thread is too smal, etc. But
these problems are fairly easy to fix. Most users seem
to be academics. There is something close to a comparative analysis of
TinyVM and NQC on the web, but it's in German.

The difference between leJOS and TinyVM is one of
focus. TinyVM will stay a very low footprint VM. In leJOS, we're
more concerned with completeness, and more recently,
with performance. One of the planned upcoming features
for leJOS is garbage collection.

As for Ada, someone should try to run it on top of
TinyVM or leJOS, as it can be cross-compiled to bytecodes.

Regards,
--Jose