 Robotics / 12991
Re: RCX Blowed up?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:49:29 GMT

"Dean Husby" <wrote :
Rik Bos wrote:
etc.
Al rihgt ,
something about powersupply's,
The vallue written on a AC (alternating current)powersupply is the
effective-value (that means its the amount of energy of it) .
When AC is rectified and become DC after the rectifierbridge ther is a
condensator (elco) for filtering out the ripple (120Hz or 100Hz in • Europe)
the it's truely DC and the we are talking about the top-value • (amplitude) of
the AC-voltage.
Are you following me ?
This means that the DC-voltage is 1.41 (square root(2)) higher than the
effective-value.
Sample 12V AC becomes 12 * 1.41 = 16.9V DC minus the voltagelost over • the
rectifiers (diode's) 2 * 0.7V = 15.5V.
The core of the RCX is working on 5V that means that the power regulator
must "eat " 10.5V !!
If you chose a AC-powersupply the take one with a outputvoltage from 8 • to 9V
AC (8V is better you have then about 9.8V DC)

Regards
and hoped to cleer out somethings about this.

Rik Bos

Doesn't Lego Sell the same power adapter for RCX as they do for Trains?

I've been using that one with no problems so far...

Dean
--
I don't know the specs of the Lego-adapter but I suppose that the
continantal(Europe) adapter difference from the american one's

Rik

rikbos@xs4all.nl