 Robotics / 12843
Re: RCX Code tutorial or better program all together?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 02:42:44 GMT

I've only recently "switched over" to NQC myself, having found RCX Code to
be pretty good for the simple tasks I was trying to handle. Be sure you run
through all 12 steps in "training mode," and then go through the help file
that explains each code block. The information IS there in the RIS kit (but
it's been so long that I'm having trouble remember exactly where I dug it
up)--maybe it's in the Constructopedia, but I think that most of it was on
the CD.

The RCX Code is quite powerful, and it was a lot faster for me to write
things in it than to struggle through NQC for the tasks I wanted to
program--at least until recently. RCX Code doesn't get much respect in this
community, but I must commend Lego on engineering a drag-and-drop system
that allows nearly bug-free programming of fairly advanced routines, but
that is simple enough that even my 5-year-old can use. (I did find one
bug--sending a tone of "0" would prevent the program from downloading to the
RCX, and trigger the "can't find the RCX" error messages.

For the record, running through "Thau's JavaScript Tutorials" at
www.webmonkey.com made acquisition of NQC *much* easier, mostly because the
JavaScript tutorials deal a little more thoroughly with syntax (which
happens to be nearly identical in basic JavaScript and NQC).

Play well!

--Doug Wilcox

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John
8:32.)
"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ.

Check out the Wilcox family at http://www.wilcoxfamily.net/

Find out what's cooking with Lego MindStorms at the Wilcox house at
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/mindstorms/

See how to build your own light saber at
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/

Help promote Capitalism ... order books, videos, and more from Amazon.com
via http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/books.htm

30 George Street
Brockton, MA 02302-3635
508-584-6853 phone
508-284-4408 cell
http://www.wilcoxfamily.net
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ# 24868783
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class