 Robotics / 12823
RE: Is Scout powerful?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:31:42 GMT

I have to agree, the Scout is great.  While it will never be as powerful as
it's bigger sibling (not sure on the gender here....), it still has plenty
of fun inside.  And it's being discounted at places like BestBuy for $79.00
which makes it a good deal.

If you want a third motor output, you can use the VLL output to control a
MicroScout.  If you want more than that, run the VLL output thru a
phototransistor, and put the phototransistor in series with a battery box
and the fiber optic unit from the Extreme Creatures expansion kit.  With
one regular motor and a touch sensor on the Scout driving the fiber optic
unit, you can independently control up to 8 ( ! ) MicroScouts.  I don't
have an application for this, but I still think it's cool. ;>)

Make sure you get the Scout SDK, which includes a useful monitoring tool
"ScoutTool.exe", although I seem to remember that RcxCC works too.

The sensor inputs are more limited, but you do have the "raw" mode, so a
lot of the standard homebrew sensors will work.  Interestingly, if you put
a standard Lego light sensor on an input, it makes a good IR detector.

Jeff

Jeffrey Hazen
North Mill Technology
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net