 Robotics / 12712
Re: Resistances of touch sensors and lamps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 16:37:36 GMT

I have been keeping an eye on this thread and feel compelled to
add my observation and experience;

The touch sensors tend to exhibit quite an extended range of resisitance
values as they are depressed. I have a couple which start as high as 7k on
first contact!

I have experimented with switch mutiplexors trying to find a bullet proof
scheme
and so far the only reliable way seems to be to construct an R-2R-4R-8R
binary system where R is significantly greater than the maximum switch
resistance. Otherwise it is impossible to positively identify one switch
fully pressed from two others partially pressed.

In my case I choose R to be 40k.

+------ SW1 ------  40k -------+
+------ SW2 ------  80k -------+
+------ SW3 ------ 160k -------+
+------ SW4 ------ 330k -------+-------- RCX input -------+
|                                                                         |

This provides totally unambiguous readings when the RCX input is set to
passive/raw mode while the readings obtained are well above the 10 bit
digitization noise floor.

(I use 1/8 watt 1% resistors hidden under a 2x8 piece of electric plating with
a short pigtail with Lego 2x2 connector for connection to the RCX.)

Actual available 1% values are 40.2k, 80.6k and 162k.

It is not necessary to put a 320k resistor in the lsb position. That last 10k
just doesn't matter.

Conversion from the readings obtained for each of the 15 switch combinations
to a four bit number representing the switch settings is quite straightforward
using ohms law. In actual use, I build a sensor watch task which continually
reads the input port, converts the value to the four bit setting and places it
in a global location for other tasks to test as if they were individual
sensors.

JB