 Robotics / 12708
12707  |  12709
Subject:
Resistances of touch sensors and lamps
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:05:07 GMT

Hi all,

I played around with touch sensors and a lamp this weekend,
trying to measure their resistance.  Since my Ohmmeter
proved rather unreliable, the values keep wandering around
and it seemed zero was not well adjusted, I just took a look
at the raw values on the RCX instead.  These were the findings:

- The value for my lamp was 4, which is very low and makes
  it impractical to use it in parallel (so forget the circuit
  in my previous posting).

- The touch sensors showed quite some variation in their
  resistance when pressed, to the point that I can
  apparently, from the values they show, distinguish three
  of them in parallel on a single input (No's 3, 2 and 4):

  No 1: 58
  No 2: 66
  No 3: 150
  No 4: 45
  No 5: 48
  Red: 28
  Yellow: 27
  White: 50

  However, the margin was quite slim and I haven't tried
  this with a program yet, and I'm a bit in doubt whether
  it will be stable over time.

- The variation is greater than that obtained by adding a
  lamp in series, but a lamp may help to nudge around the
  values just a bit to make it work.

- The resistance of cable is very low, 8m made of 30 cables
  gave me a value between 1 and 2.  So cable is not a practical
  resistor, short of going into the hundreds of meters.

Keep on constructing

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>