 Robotics / 12701
Re: Dropping your RCX on the floor...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:31:49 GMT

Having had to dismantle an RCX at one stage, I would point
out that the battery connectors are not solidly attached to the
main circuit board inside the RCX. (I have noted a lot of Lego
electrics are built along those lines - relying on mechanical
pressure to maintain connection rather than some form of
bona fide connecotr technology.) After soldering the battery
connector directly to the board my intermittent problems went
away. I think the weight of the batteries is the dominant source
of kinetic energy when the RCX hits the floor!

Luckily, Lego seem to build most of their electrical contacts
from a material which is very easy to solder! This is a good
thing, becuase you can do it really quickly which avoids
unsightly "melts" on electric plating when it is used for
non-purist applications ;)

JB