 Robotics / 12700
Re: NQC versus Lego RCX Code Speed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 20:12:08 GMT

Wilcox, Doug <Doug.Wilcox@iMcKesson.com> wrote:
I noticed this when I had a fairly simple program written in RCX Code that
was checking two separate bumpers and backing and turning depending on which
one was pressed. (The only other routine in the program was to emit a beep
every 5 seconds) The second bumper would only "trigger" after a 1-2 second
delay. I thought I had a bad RCX or bad sensor, but I tried the same program
on my second RCX with different sensors, and the same thing happened! This
delay behavior might only be a problem using certain combinations of Sensor
Watchers, but it did get me thinking about what's going on under the hood.

With regards to your comment about sensor watchers, yes they are slow.  If
I remember correctly, they are implemented by a task that loops forever
polling the sensors and starting other tasks whenever an event of the
proper type occurs.  Tasks are executed in a tightly interleaved fashion
(one instruction at a time from each active task), which I imagine is not
particularly efficient in some cases.  For example, when a sensor watcher
is triggered, I believe the poll task is still running, increasing response
time by at least 2x.

With NQC, you have control over how sensors are polled and how the
polling while you are responding to an event, reducing response time.

Does this explain what you observe?

-Kekoa