 Robotics / 12649
Re: Roving Webcam Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 21:09:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Amnon Silverstein writes:
Here is me with my roving webcam bot. This weekend I made an improved version.
I used WebCam32 for the webcam, my WebBrick program for robot control over IP,
NQC code for motor control, IBM's cordless modem, a USB to serial converter to
get the tower to work with the Sony VAIO picturebook.
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/AmnonRobot.jpg
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/RobotDetail.jpg

The NQC first centers the steering. I use a clutch gear and a rotation counter
in the steering system. The code can detect a stall when the steering motor is
running but the steering angle isn't changing. It also has a touch sensor that
it uses to calibrate the rotation sensor so 0 is straight ahead. The little
antenna on the nose with the yellow wheel is to provide visual feedback
through the webcam of which way the front end is pointing.
The NQC also controls differential power to the two rear wheel drive motors,
to help it turn in addition to the steering.
My latest version of WebBrick lets you start any task on any program, so you
can have up to 50 buttons on the control web page. I wrote it in C++, and the
web control is in HTML and JavaScript. You can get WebBrick at:
http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Lego/

Cool!  Do you have the webcam up and running somewhre?

KL