 Robotics / 12563
12562  |  12564
Subject:
Roving Web Cam
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 05:56:05 GMT

I've built a new roving web cam. It is a camera equipped robot that can run
around the house, and the driver sees pretty brisk (5 fps or so) video over
the web, and he or she controls the robot by pushing buttons on the web page.
Last year I did this, but my software and hardware were pretty crummy. This
year I have some new tools:
For control, I wrote an easy-to-use (no programming needed) mindstorms web
control program WebBrick
(http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Lego/)
For video feedback, I am using WebCam32, which is pretty nice since it lets
your machine act as a server and it can do server-push on Netscape
(http://www.surveyorcorp.com/webcam32/)
For the robot, I built a new chasis with an almost frictionless steering setup
that uses a turntable
(http://www.best.com/~amnon/Homepage/Games/uploads/Shagmaster1.jpg)
And for communication, I am trying to use 802.11b wireless ethernet. This is
the part that is getting me stuck. My ISP gives me DHCP, and the gateway needs
a fixed IP address. I think I can fix it with a router. I had it working with
dial-up, using an IBM cordless modem, but that is a glacial 56k, and it
doesn't give fast enough feedback to control the robot very well. I hope I can
get this part working, the rest is so cool!
B.T.W., give WebBrick a try (it is free). I had 2 users last week, and this
week I am up to 4. If it keeps growing at this rate I will be ahead of
Microsoft in a year! :)

-Amnon