 Robotics / 12505
12504  |  12506
Subject:
Rotation sensor gearing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:12:08 GMT

Great!  Now the information is coming together.

Denis Cousineau's Lego motors web page says that the
'new' Technics motor runs at 60rpm - and the Dacta site
says that the rotation sensor is good to 500rpm.

So gearing the motor up by a factor of (say) 5 would
spin the rotation sensor at ~300rpm - giving plenty
of room for variation from motor to motor.

A 40t gear on the motor and an 8t on the rotation
sensor should be *perfect* - at 16 counts per rotation,
we'll get 80 counts per motor rotation - or 4.5 degrees
accuracy at the motor shaft - irrespective of motor
speed (give or take for gear slop).

This arrangement is pretty neat actually - the rotation
sensor fits right next to the motor and the two
shafts are exactly the right distance apart for that
gearing.  You'd almost think it was designed that
way!  :-)

I'll play with it some this evening.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>