 Robotics / 12323
RE: IR Ball (was Soccer-Playing Robots)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 04:16:35 GMT

>>That wouldn't look as great as a free rolling ball - and the
>>robots would perhaps have trouble finding it while it's in
>>motion....but 28 LEDs is a heck of a lot!

Seems like a lot to me. The wider angle IR LEDs have a 60 degree
cone. I think you can cover a sphere with 14 such cones, but don't
quote me!

Maybe experimenting with a lens type system to spread the light further...
I am thinking a 'frosted' glass approach with a FEW HIGHER power outputs.
Just think of finding a glowing pingpong ball, I suspect while the light
output is much lower, its a LARGER size, with no gaps in the output, even
when its moving.

m@