 Robotics / 12266
Re: Soccer-Playing Robots (Question for Mario Ferrari & Others)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:45:20 GMT

Hi!

I'm interested in building (or perhaps purchasing) one of the
IR-LED-containing balls you used for the soccer robots you displayed at
MindFest. I'm working on MindStorms robots during my lunch hour (see
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/mindstorms/diaries.htm) and want to develop
the current project into a 'bot that would chase, grab, and then throw or
kick a ball--much the way a cat might play with a mouse. I have a second RCX
now, and could then migrate to a robot-vs.-robot soccer game.

Do you have (or have on one of your sites) a schematic and/or parts list for
the ball? I'm particularly wondering what type of a ball was used. Is an
inexpensive ping-pong ball translucent enough to pass IR?

Thanks.

Doug Wilcox
Senior Web Developer
iMcKesson Provider Solutions Group-Needham
160 Gould Street, Suite 130
Needham, MA 02494-2308
Phone: 781.453.2900 x 237
Fax: 781.455.7990
e-mail: Doug.Wilcox@iMcKesson.com
http://www.imckesson.com

"You see, I had this space suit. How it happened was like this ..."
(Opening lines from Robert A. Heinlein's Have Space Suit-Will Travel)