 Robotics / 12263
Re: Soccer-Playing Robots (Question for Mario Ferrari & Others)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:57:50 GMT

"Wilcox, Doug" wrote:

My recollection was that the soccer robots used a ball which had an
IR-emitting LED inside. I'm interested in the type of ball used and the
schematic/parts for the IR-emitter, as well as typical detection ranges or
problems.

Hi Doug,

we used a simple transparent plastic ball with a diameter of 4-5cm
(about 1,5 inches), which contained the IR-emitting LEDs and their
batteries. As far as I can remember, the circuit was very simple, and we
put *a lot* of IR LEDs because we soon discovered that the critical
point of the whole project is to have the robot locate the ball with
sufficient accuracy. You see, an IR LED pointed to the ground is no way
good and the detection range of the standard Lego light sensor is not so
wide. I seem to remember that we also put some non-IR LEDs in the ball,
but you'd better ask Marco Berti (marco.berti@itlug.org) who built the
ball and who is, by the way, an expert in batteries.
It's also very important to have the right environment, as the IR light
can be easily reflected by the background or by other objects, and
hamper the good behaviour of the robots. We also put a black/white
gradient sheet in the playing field, just under the robots, to let them
easily (?) find their way in the right direction.

If you need any other information, I'd be happy to help. We took some
pictures but I'll have to ask Marco for them.

Giulio
giulio.ferrari@itlug.org

Ciao
Giulio