 Robotics / 12203
RE: Casters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:39:49 GMT

Very interesting ... this is the opposite of what I would think, but it'll
give me something to play with tomorrow. So, shortening the wheel base might
improve caster performance.

Maybe I'll just take the kids to Wal*Mart and play with the shopping carts,
seeing which combination of forward/backward and pushing/pulling seems to
work best.

--Doug Wilcox

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Osborn [mailto:fozztexx@fozztexx.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 2:37 PM
To: Lego-Robotics (E-mail)
Subject: Re: Casters

On Aug. 22 00, 09:24 PDT, "Wilcox, Doug" <Doug.Wilcox@iMcKesson.com>
wrote:

Can anyone explain to me why front-mounted casters, with the
powered wheels toward the back of the robot (see photo at
www.wordsmithdigital.com/mindstorms/diaries.htm ), stay in alignment
better than rear-mounted casters with the wheels in front? I can't
quite grok it.

When the vehicle is rolling towards the caster, the caster is much
closer to the drive wheels, and they have a lot more leverage
against the caster to position it where they want.

When it's rolling away from the caster, the caster is so much
farther away that it's harder to leverage it into a straight
position.

This is just a guess though.

---
Chris Osborn                      Full System, Inc.
fozztexx@fullsystem.com           2160 Jefferson St., #240
http://www.fullsystem.com/        Napa, CA 94559
Webhosting that *works* - 99.99% uptime - First 3 months free