 Robotics / 12079
Re: Motor and Generator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:53:30 GMT

in article 3992BF3C.617C7D78@mpifr-bonn.mpg.de, Edmund Nussbaum at
en@mpifr-bonn.mpg.de wrote on 8/10/00 7:42 AM:

Hi

I just coupled two 12V Motors with a electrical cable
and if you rotate the axis of the one then the axis
of the other motor also rotates.

Of course, everybody knows that motors of this type
can also be used as generators, but I didn't expect
such a good efficienty factor.

I calculated a 97% efficiency with moderate speed (hand-cranked) and no
load.

Add a load, and of course the efficiency drops pretty quickly.

With this configuration turning moment can be trans-
mitted via cable. Axis can be extended as far as the
cable is. And you don't need any batteries.

One can imagine plenty of applications for that.

I haven't come up with anything useful.  Usually, instead of wasting a motor
to make a generator, I use a battery power source instead.

I HAVE come up with something fun, though!

http://www.rdrop.com/~dougw/lego/cranker.html

Be careful - don't crank too energetically or you could damage the
"generator".  It's not made to be turned manually.

eddy

--
Doug Weathers, http://www.rdrop.com/~dougw
Portland, Oregon, USA