 Robotics / 12059
Re: Autonomous Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 01:01:39 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

I think that this autonomous robot thread has been the most interesting
one on lugnet for a while.

Fun isn't it!

I have a suggestion, which I think may date back 50 years to the early days of
radio direction finding. I believe the British Isles are (were) surrounded
by a system
of transmitters with counter-rotating antennas, one rpm. Each had a different
signal, so you listened and counted the time for each signal and deduced your
resulting bearing from the transmitter.

Can't you do this with two counter-rotating lasers! The RCX sits out there and
counts out the time between three hits, 1 - 2 - 1 for example. The relative
time
gives the angle. There is an ambiguity but if the transmitter is in the
corner of the
room, then the ambigous position is not real.

Wait, wait, wait.  You must need more than two numbers.  Mathematically,
you can't specify a 2D position without TWO numbers (eg X and Y, or
Heading and Range, or two angles).  Your timing between three hits from
two co-located lasers is only ONE number if the lasers rotate once per
minute - then if you know the time between hit-1 and hit-2 then you can
deduce the time for hit-3 - so that carries no new information.  If you
only know one number then you know that your position lies on some
particular line (straight or curved) - but you can't know WHERE along
that line you are.

So, I think you'd need at least THREE rotating lasers...but then, how
do you know which one is which.  The British radio detection system
(which my Father worked on BTW) used radio beams of DIFFERENT FREQUENCIES
so you can tell them apart.  We can't (easily) do that with lasers because
cheap pocket lasers come in "any colour you like - so long as it's RED" :-)

I guess you could flash them on and off at different rates or something - but
then the exact moment of detection becomes problematic - and the arrival of
two beams close together would confuse the heck out of the detection logic.

A crude approach at range, is then to move at right angles to the beam some
known
small distance using odometry which should be good for a short straight
line and then
resample the transmitter's new angle. You now have all the info to solve
for the range.

But moving at right angles to the beam isn't possible - you don't yet know
where the beam came from because you need an omni-directional detector.

Hence, all you know is that your position lies on one imaginary line - then
you move some distance (in an unknown direction) and then know your new
position lies on a new imaginary line.  Those lines aren't straight - and determining
where you are isn't exactly trivial!

I have no idea if it can be made to work, I haven't tried it.

It sounds *possible* - but very tricky.

Also, I wonder if you need lasers or if a pair of counter-rotating
mini-maglites whould do it!
They'd be a lot cheaper for testing out the idea.

I doubt it.  My local Fry's electronics has laser pointers for $5 each.
Maglites are pretty costly compared to *that*.  I'm rather interested
in getting away from lasers though - just from a safety perspective.

A passive digital camera might be a better solution...when they get a bit
cheaper!

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>