 Robotics / 12046
RE: Autonomous Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:34:12 GMT

No' I don't think you correctly understood what I am proposing. The
reflective surface would be on the outside of the funnel shaped piece with
the narrow tip of the funnel resting on the center of the sensor.

   Funnel
   \     /  light beam
    \   /______________
     \ /|
  ______V__
  Sensor

The light beam would have to arrive parallel to the sensor. If the outside
surface of the funnel/cone was at a 45 degree angle to the sensor the sensor
would have to be as large around as the widest part of the cone and this
would determine how much the height of the beam above the sensor could vary.
By curving the surface of the cone you could change this do some degree.

Getting the light beam to arrive parallel to the sensor would be a problem
in and area of uneven terrain. I suppose you could use some kind of system
to keep the sensor horizontal.

In any kind of laser based system like this where you are only interested in
the angle from the tower it would help to spread the laser beam in the
vertical direction. This would allow for more variation in the height of the
sensor, for situations where the robot may be going up and down slopes. I
have a laser pointer that when you rotate the tip unfocuses the beam in one
direction to produce a line instead of a point. At 10 feet the line is a
little over 3 inches long and about one inch wide, but still pretty bright.