 Robotics / 12044
12043  |  12045
Subject:
Using COM Controls in VC++
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 11:35:26 GMT

Hi All,

I'm writing to this group as I expect there is a lot of COM/ActiveX expertise
available here, after using the Spirit.ocx control with various IDE's.

I'm currently using legOS for a project and want to use the LNP protocol
(legOS's UDP like transport mechanism) to facilitate communications with the
RCX from my PC. As I am tied into the Windows platform, it makes perfect sense
to use the WinLnp COM control that was developed by Yannis Jeannotat. You can
find this at: http://www.geocities.com/winlnp/

My problem lies in trying to use this from Visual C++. I am not very familiar
with the Microsoft COM environment. I have been able to register winlnp.exe
and instantiate it in a Visual Basic project (once I've added it to the project
references), but I still cannot use it from VC++. I do not know how to import
it or reference it. I am reasonable familiar with C++, but not VC++. I have
tried to find it in the 'Component and Controls Gallery' under the 'Add to
Project' dialogue, but it is not there. I therefore do not know how to point
VC++ to the control so I can instantiate it.

Can you please tell me what I am overlooking, and perhaps show me how
to use the control? Does anyone have some sample code? Is there a step between
running the /regserver switch to register it, and actually using it, that I
have left out?

Thanks in advance,

Colin Ryan

http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Colin.Ryan/nanOrb