 Robotics / 11967
Re: Robots In my mind - Robots with the power of learning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 21:09:04 GMT

No bot will ever react human like while don't we have (at least):

(a) Non boolean sensors / Lots of boolean sensors
Example: Knowing a touch sensor it being pressed by N grams of strength or that is 30% pressed.
Alternatively if we have lots of concentrated sensors (like the hair/tact) we could reach a conclusion by averaging the boolean readings.

(b) Parallel processing
Better to have a lot of simultaneous tasks trying to reach it's own conclusion and have then find the best, than a single task that reaches a conclusion by a serial process. No mind works that way.

(c) Better ways to store & retrieve past events
Short duration memory & long duration memory.
The way to store images/sounds/etc should be something like the fractal (?) image compression algorithms, where you only memorize the important details in the image, not every pixel of it.
Also, the more frequently a memory is retrieved the stronger it becomes and the less is used, the faster is forgotten.

(d) A completely redrawn programming & hardware model
A brain never stops. It's always ways processing stuff. Massive parallel processing. It commands muscles, reads stimuli, takes decisions all the time, every second of it!
If you think about it, our current programming languages seem like using an abacus to program the RCX.

(e) E-motion? :-)

Oh well... let's face it: we still have a lot to improve.
Let's hope someone may be able to do it in out lifetime.

Laurentino Martins

[ mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt ]
[ http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/ ]