 Robotics / 11841
RE: PalmOS version of NQC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:07:31 GMT

Thus quoth mattdm@mattdm.org:
David Weaver <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
be great if there was a Palm version of NQC???  We
could store our code in the memopad and beam it to the
robot with the built-in IR port!  Wouldn't it be great

It would be great. The catch is making the palm pilot IR port talk the • right
protocol -- it's theoretically possible, but I don't know of anyone who • has
done it (other than via learning remote software).

I have tried direct manipulation of the Palm IR port and it is definitely a
black art (I haven't succeeded yet, still trying though). The most difficult
thing is getting the timing consistent -- you have to disable interrupts and
figure out your own timing by clocking off the serial port. Disabling
interrupts for the length of time it takes to download code to the RCX is a
bad thing; eventually the realtime clock loses time.

Marius Milner
Palm/Lego/Furby Hacker
http://www.blueneptune.com/~maznliz/marius/index.shtml