 Robotics / 11807
Re: running motors underwater
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 02:35:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rama Hoetzlein <rch8@cornell.edu> writes:
I haven't tried this myself, but I was just thinking that there could
be many reasons why the motor heats up after running underwater.

It depends alot on what kind of water it's in.  Pure distilled
water doesn't conduct very well.  Water with any kind of ions (salt
chlorine, flourine etc) will conduct much better and cause more heating.
In addition, the electrolisis that occurs in unpure water will cause deposits
of all kinds of gunk to accumulate inside the motor.  Those deposits
will do permanent damage to the motor.  Tap water is the worst, with
heavy ammounts of chlorine and flourine plus many other contaminents.

KL