 Robotics / 11806
Re: running motors underwater
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 01:38:36 GMT

I haven't tried this myself, but I was just thinking that there could
be many reasons why the motor heats up after running underwater.
But first, do we know for sure that they are heating up more than
they normally would?

This sounds like a great application for temp sensors. :)

I don't know if this has been brought up on this site before (it probabably
has), but it might work pretty well to place a temp sensor directly against
a motor's case, to measure the motor's operating temp.  This would be
useful anyplace where the motors get heavily loaded & warmed up, not just
underwater.

Now, if one REALLY wanted to be elegant, you could setup the RCX so it'd
reduce the motor's power based on temp, or even shut down the motor or
program altogether should things get too hot.  One could even set up some
sort of cooling apparatus to kick in at a given temp, but this is getting
far out enough the way it is. :)

BTW, does anyone know what the "safe" operating temp. range of the motors
is, before one would have to worry about physical damage?

Greg Betzel