 Robotics / 11393
Re: ir tower -> consumer electronics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 06:14:19 GMT

There is a good very good information under http://come.to/8051
and check out the section infrared .

Rgds
Johan

John Barnes wrote:

Either I'm missing something, or there's a fundamental
error in people's understanding of "IR".

The "IR" in question is simply a transmission medium, which
conveniently modulated in the 25 - 50KHz area can be detected
against a background of low frequency light sources souch as
household lighting etc.

This modulation is in turn modulated at a "bit rate" convenient
to the system its being used for, such as a tv or VCR remote
control.

What I don't understand is why you would expect an RCX transmission
which is a bit encoding of standard computer style RS232 serial
data at 2400 bps encoded as 10 bits total, start, 8 data and stop
to match a proprietary transmission standard hatched by a tv or
vcr designer who has no reason or need to use start bits, stop
bits or 8 bit bytes! (After all, they owe their heritage to
teletype machines!)

I suspect univeral remotes that learn, learn bit patterns and
nothing else. I know you CANNOT make a PC serial port do this.
I don't know enough about the RCX's serial port but I suspect
it is also using a UART of some kind, in which case it will
not be able to transmit or receive arbitrary bit patterns
either.

Lego sell a perfectly usable remote for the RCX. I use mine
all the time.

JB