 Robotics / 11320
Re: Grabber arm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 20:27:40 GMT

Dave Baum book has a arm that may fit better to your needs. Basically it use
3 motors. One motor controls the torso. The second moves arms up and down.
The third open closes the arm.
You can look at Lego site also and look for user projects. There are some
good solutions.

Tip: Use tires to increase the grip of the arm. You can get pieces (eg:
wheels) using the tip of the "fingers".

Try use this configuration:
                               """" """"
===============|==|==
---------------------""""
===============|==|==

========  Beam
-----ou |       Axle
"""                 Gear

The connection between the 2 axles uses a wormgear and a 24t gear for gear
reduction and hold the grip while the motor is stopped. Since both axles are
connected and rotate in diferent directions, they both can be connected to
angle beams to build the grabber.

I hope it helps.

Mauro

"Kerry Raymond" <kerry@dstc.edu.au> wrote in message
I downloaded the instructions for building a grabber arm from the
Mindstorms WWW site (I gather this is the grabber arm depicted on the
1.5 box).

However, I found that the arm wasn't very good at actually picking things
up. Although I didn't have the exact pieces in a couple of places (I don't
have v1.5), I don't think any of my substitutions would have affected the
mechanics of it.

In particular, the way the "hands" closed altered the height of the
grabbing action as the hands closed. This made me think that I needed to
synchronise the hand opening/closing movement with a bit of arm up/down
movement but to date, I haven't developed a successful combined movement.

However, I wondered if I am wasting my time as the arm may have been
designed to look good on the box top rather than be a useful grabbing arm.
It certainly is more complicated that other ones out there.

Any comments on this arm from anyone else who has built it?

Kerry

=
Dr Kerry Raymond, Distinguished Research Fellow     E-mail: • kerry@dstc.edu.au
CRC for Enterprise Distributed Systems Technology      Phone: +61 7 3365 • 4310
University of Queensland 4072 Australia                  Fax: +61 7 3365 • 4311
http://www.dstc.edu.au/kerry