 Robotics / 11319
Re: Grabber arm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 19:14:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I've built the grabber on, although not using the current step-by-step
instructions. My son Isaac was enamored with the photo on the RIS box, and
begged for months for me to build it. I'd started a couple of times, and
found recreating the illustration daunting. Lego put better photographs up
on the MindStorms Site (but not yet step-by-step instructions--so my model
was slightly different than the one up there now), and that gave me enough
to go on.

It turned out many of the structures visible on the photo were superfluous
"doo-dads" having no real function--which is why I'd never been able to copy
the box illustration.

That said, I found the grabber arm we built to be slightly disappointing,
but not impossible to use. Isaac had a great time playing with it,
especially when we plugged in the NQC Control Center joystick remote
control.

I did encounter similar problems to yours--if one wanted to pick something
up, there was very little variance in where that object could be. I'd
recommend a significantly different construct. Frankly the tire lifting arm
assembly on the Code Pilot set was much more fun to play with!

--Doug Wilcox

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John
8:32.)
"But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus
Christ.

Check out the Wilcox family at http://www.wilcoxfamily.net/

Find out what's cooking with Lego MindStorms at the Wilcox house at
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/mindstorms/

See how to build your own light saber at
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/

Help promote Capitalism ... order books, videos, and more from Amazon.com
via http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/saber/books.htm

Doug Wilcox owns and operates
WordSmith Digital Document Services
30 George Street
Brockton, MA 02302-3635
508-897-0847 phone
508-897-0849 fax
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ# 24868783

- Web design (including e-commerce)
- Searchable Digital Documents on CD
- Desktop Publishing - Design - Scanning
- Computer/Software Consulting (Technical Wizardry)
- Computer Demons Exorcised
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class