 Robotics / 11145
Re: Speed control of motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:04:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "ssweeney@sanders.com" <ssweeney@sanders.com> writes:
Someplace (a book or web page) I saw a way to control the speed of a
mindstorm motor. Not just changing the power, but the speed.

If I remember right, they created an NQC task that did its own PWM on
the motor output. I spent a frustrating evening trying to do this and got
nowhere fast.

What I would like to be able to do is to make graceful turns of various
radii by adjusting the speeds of the drive motors. Since the bot is only
gently loaded, the power settings have little or no effect on the bot.

I've dealt with some of the same issues.  The best resource I know of off hand
is the Floyd-Steinberg Motor Control at www.mrob.com .  It's not perfect, but
it gets the job done.  The way it works is turn the motor on and off in pulses
so most bots move in a "jerky" motion.  I found that the lighter and simpler
the power train, the worse the effect.  I have a few programs on my Lego
system at home that are a little more involved and expanded than the ones he
gives (also in NQC).  I can see what I have and post them if you'd like.

peace
---T