 Robotics / 11111
Re: reading sensor values?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 22:07:11 GMT

Now pass something under the light sensor, and
you will see the value it returns on the LCD screen of the RCX.  You can
also set the values the sensor returns to raw.
Is the ability to set the values the sensor returns to "raw" only • available
in NQC. We're using Robolab 1.5 here, soon 2.0.
I don't have any experience with Robolab, but I do think that it should be
possible to set the sensor mode to "raw" using Robolab.  It is possible with
the original software, but not in an official way; for more info, see
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/lego.htm#seeraw .

I was under the impression
that the values displayed on the RCX LCD were the "raw" values.

The values the RCX returns if the light sensor is connected to the input you
have selected in your program (see previous post), it will return a value
between 0 and 100.  This is the percentage of light that reaches the
photoresistor in the light sensor.
On the other hand, if you hook up the light sensor to one of the other two
inputs (that aren't set to any sensor type), the RCX will show you values
between 0 and 1023. These are the so called "raw" values, the values the RCX
receives directly from the light sensor.
In fact, they are the values between 0 and 100 are the same as the "raw"
ones, but they aren't converted into percentages, so 0 equals 0 and 100
equals 1023.
For more info on the light sensor, see
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/light.htm .

Hope this has helped...

Simon

PS Other people, please correct me if I'm wrong.