 Robotics / 11068
11067  |  11069
Subject:
another proposal: C*AN
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:20:49 GMT

I assume many of you are familiar with CPAN, the
Comprehensive Perl Archive Network. I had a thought:
I'm unaware of any such thing for any of the major
Mindstorms languages, and I was thinking it might be a
good idea to have a central clearing house for code
snippets written for the various languages.

I'm willing to donate what space I can on my GeoCities
account for a CNAN (etc NQC etc etc), but it's not an
ideal situation since I don't have that much space to
play with (we get 15 megs, but you're subject to
Yahoo!/GeoCities' naming limitations and those damn ad
banners pop up everywhere). If there's interest, I'll
hack up a page tomorrow (unless someone else wants to
maintain it?). Consider this letter a preliminary call
for submissions.

As for pbForth and LegOS, I'd like to see something
for them as well, but I don't know much about either
system, so I'd be curious if anyone wants to maintain
that.

Preliminary submission guidelines for the CNAN:

-All files must be plain text, preferably
html-encapsulated and ready to post. I will provide a
boilerplate page on the site for people to paste their
code into.
-Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all code will be
assumed to be under MozPL, which as near as I can
determine means the same thing as the LGPL except that
the author maintains the right to do whatever he/she
wants with the code; everyone else has to keep it
open. However, alternate licensing schemes are
allowed; I just picked MozPL because it's what
everyone else in the online Lego community seems to be
using.
-Your code will be up there naked for all to see. Make
it neat, document it so people can understand it, and
please please please put some effort into writing a
man page or something like that.
-Sorry, I can't accept tarballs, .zip files, or .sit
files. I don't like it either, but until someone finds
me a better deal than GeoCities, it's what I'm stuck
with. If you wish to provide a tarball or the like, a
link to your own archive site would be nice.

I wait with bated breath...

/Brian

=====