 Robotics / 11067
Re: A modest proposal/challenge/whatever: 'bot wrestling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 17:52:18 GMT

--- "William M. Leue" <wleue1@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
If you need further inspiration for this idea, get
hold of a copy of Jack
Vance's SF book "The Face" and read about Haudal, a
game where some number of
players start out in a central yellow circle, which
is surrounded by a larger
green cirle, which is in turn surrounded by a lager
blue circle. Players
attempt to eject each other from yellow, then green,
blue, and finally out into
limbo. The surviving player not ejected wins, or if
the remaining players
choose not to further challenge each other, they
share the prize money in
proportion to what circle each ended up in. In the
original game, injuries and
fatalities were not uncommon; perhaps a Mindstorms
version should be toned down
a tad in this aspect :-)

Actually, the rules I'm thinking of includes the idea
that intentionally dismembering an opponent is a DQ
(though if your opponent falls apart when being
slammed around, so be it :-) ).

This actually sounds very much like what I had in
mind, but one-on-one would render the circles
completely meaningless. (Though your game sounds
rather fun to watch, even if you take out the blood;
sort of a cross between sumo and lucha libre...)

Oy, now here's a thought. Mindstorms Lucha Libre.
Mucho carnage. (Time to stop eating the funny-tasting
mushrooms there, Bri...)

/Brian

=====